Windranger Dota 2 Guide – Play Any Role in Patch 7.07d
Windranger is a versatile hero that can be played in any role. This guide covers the offlane role, since it’s the most common one.
Here are Windranger’s key strengths:
- She can shackle a target to a tree or to another enemy target, stunning them for 2/2.6/3.2/3.8 seconds.
- She can quickly kill creep waves or nuke enemy heroes using her Powershot ability, which deals 180/260/340/420 magical damage.
- She can move 50% faster, slow enemy movement speed by 15%/20%/25%/30% in a 325 radius and evade all incoming physical attacks for 3/4/5/6 seconds, using her Windrun ability.
- Using Focus Fire, she can attack a target very quickly for 20 seconds while moving at the same time, at the cost of a portion of her damage (50%/40%/30%).
Windranger Item build
When playing Windranger in Dota 2 esports, your item build should improve your mobility, mana pool, sustainability and damage output. Subsequently, these are some of the key items you should consider buying:
- Phase Boots: the damage and bonus movement they offer you synergize well with your abilities.
- Magic Wand: this is a good early game item on any hero.
- Infused Raindrop: gives you good mana regeneration and protection against magical damage.
- Blink Dagger: gives you a lot of mobility and turns you into a much more reliable damage dealer.
- Force Staff: the HP regeneration, intelligence and added mobility are always very valuable.
- Aghanim’s Scepter: greatly improves all of your ultimate ability, decreasing its damage penalty by 20%/25%/30% and cooldown by 45 seconds.
- Maelstrom: allows you to farm much faster and synergizes well with your ultimate.
- Desolator: same as Maelstrom, but with a focus on physical damage.
- Black King Bar: when playing against a lineup that has a lot of disables or heavy magical damage, this item is essential.
- Orchid: gives you excellent damage, attack speed, intelligence, mana regeneration and the ability to silence enemy heroes for 5 seconds.
- Linken’s Sphere: this is a great item to have when playing against initiators with single target stuns, or against powerful ultimate abilities that pierce magic immunity.
Read Also: Is Dota 2 Dying?
Windranger Abilities Explained
Shackles a target to a tree or to another enemy target. If the initial target is shackled to either a tree or another target, the stun lasts 2/2.6/3.2/3.8 seconds. Otherwise it only lasts 0.75 seconds. The shackle search range is 575.
Can be channeled for up to a second and deals a maximum of 180/260/340/420 magical damage. It travels over a distance of 2600 units in less than a second and passes through all units along its path. For every unit it touches, its damage is reduced by 20%.
Gives you +50% movement speed and 100% evasion against physical attacks for 3/4/5/6 seconds. Also slows enemy movement speed by 15%/20%/25%/30% in a 325 radius.
Allows you to attack a target at maximum attack speed (4 attacks per second in Windranger’s case), at the cost of a percentage of your damage: 50%/40%/30%. The effect lasts for 20 seconds. The attack speed bonus and damage reduction are only applied against the chosen target.
Best Windranger Talents
- +30% Windrun slow / +1.75 mana regeneration – The Windrun slow is very nice to have, but most often you will need to take the mana regeneration. If you want to avoid this, you should buy Arcane Boots instead of Phase Boots.
- +90 Powershot damage / +75 attack range – This is a choice that depends on your playstyle. Both of these talents offer great bonuses, so it’s up to you to decide which one would help you more to succeed.
- 25% cooldown reduction / Windrun grants invisibility – The second option is much better than the first, because it greatly improves your initiation and escape capabilities.
- +20% ministun Focus Fire / +1 Shackleshot target – The second option is usually better, allowing you to Shackle up to 3 targets.
When playing Windranger, you should start with a point in Windrun followed by two points in Powershot. At level 7 your skill build should be 1-4-1-1. Afterwards you maximize Shackleshot and Windrun in this order, putting points in your ultimate and taking talents whenever you can.
Read Also: Best Dota 2 Settings to Climb Ladder and Win MMR
When to pick the hero
Windranger is a very good pick whenever you need to protect yourself against heavy right clickers such as Ursa, Troll Warlord, Phantom Assassin or Templar Assassin. She is also good when you need a long duration stun against one or more key targets, and your teammates have insufficient crowd control abilities.
Clear Creep Waves Effortlessly
Windranger is a highly survivable hero (against physical damage) that can quickly clear creep waves, stun enemies for a long duration and deal a lot of single target damage with its ultimate.